Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and Post-Concussive Treatment
Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) Treatment
NeuroLogic Physiotherapy was founded on the treatment of adult and pediatric brain injuries. Physiotherapy treatment following a brain injury is focused on the client’s individual needs and symptoms. As clients transition from hospital/rehab care back into the community, we strive to help our clients identify and achieve their long term functional goals. Our physiotherapists are trained to find and treat specific problems such as weakness, poor balance or decreased co-ordination and how it affects mobility and function.
Concussion and Minor Traumatic Brain Injury (mTBI) Treatment
Read more about the vestibular issues that may persist following a concussion here>.
Our physiotherapists with concussion training provide a great deal of education and direction regarding guidance in progressive return to activity (whether it be sport or recreational) and symptom management. Gentle, hands-on soft tissue techniques are used to promote healing of the brain. Our therapists work to calm the body’s central nervous system, as this often becomes greatly stressed and hypersensitive when the brain is attempting to heal following a concussion or mTBI.
Physiotherapy can help:
• Decrease headaches
• Decrease dizziness and nausea
• Improve balance and walking
• Reduce muscle pain and stiffness
• Increase strength and range of motion
• Retrain normal patterns of movement
• Increase affected arm and leg function
• Increase independence
• Decrease risk of falls
• Vestibular rehabilitation
• Visual rehabilitation (as it pertains to integration of movement)
• Craniosacral therapy
• Bobath Therapy (sensory motor based on normal movement)
• NDT (neuro-development treatment)
• Myofascial Release therapy (MFR)
Looking for more information or support about living with brain injuries in the Ottawa area? Check out these great associations and programs below!