Craniosacral Therapy (CST)
We offer this gentle, hands-on method of evaluating and improving functioning of the craniosacral system. We have a highly trained physiotherapist who provides Craniosacral treatment for mothers and babies for pre- and post-natal care.
Craniosacral therapy (CST) is a gentle, hands-on technique that manipulates the cranial system, which includes the spine, skull, cranial sutures, and fascia. This treatment works to relieve pain, tensions and dysfunction in the central nervous system and restore normal cranial mobility to the cranial system. This form of therapy releases abnormal restrictions in the connective tissues (fascia) in order for restore proper alignment and ease restrictions on nerves.
Who can benefit from CranioSacral therapy?
CranioSacral therapy can be highly effective in treatment of the following problems:
- Migraines and Headaches
- Chronic Neck and Back Pain
- Stress and Tension-Related Disorders
- Motor-Coordination Impairments
- Infant and Childhood Disorders
- Brain and spinal Cord Injuries
- Chronic Fatigue
- TMJ Syndrome
- Central Nervous System Disorders
- Learning Disabilities
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Orthopedic Problems
- and Many Other Conditions
Craniosacral Therapy can help headaches! Read more here >
How can CranioSacral Therapy help in pre- and post-natal care?
One important goal of a pregnancy Craniosacral therapy session is to gently improve the mobility in the mother's pelvis so her baby can more easily assume an ideal position for birth. This can promote a timely, easier birth for mom and baby.
Postpartum treatment facilitates healing and helps to rebalance the pelvis, spine and soft tissues which adapted during pregnancy. Craniosacral therapy during the childbearing year can:
- Relieve cramping
- Treat sciatic or other nerve pain
- Improve pelvic floor structure and function
- Relieve back pain in pregnancy
- Establish optimal fetal positioning for birth
- Promote recovery from tears and stitches
- Facilitate recovery from cesarean birth
- Restore pelvic stability
- Resolve post epidural back pain
- Assess and treat birth trauma
Can CranioSacral Therapy benefit infants and children?
Craniosacral therapy is a wonderful gentle form of bodywork for infants, babies and children. Along with promoting health, it minimizes or eliminates the effects of birth trauma. It assists infants in releasing restrictive patterns in the body before they become issues later in life, thus preventing future disease and dysfunction. Craniosacral therapy is extremely valuable for a baby who has:
- Experienced a challenging labour and birth
- Experiencing health issues
- Breastfeeding challenges including:
- Poor latch
- Unwillingness to nurse
- Painful nipples in mom
Further reasons to treat a baby / child include middle ear infections, headaches, developmental delays, cerebral palsy, neurological conditions, torticollis, genetic disorders, misshapen skull, hearing problems, trauma, autism, ADHD etc...
Read more about Craniosacral therapy (CST) at the Upledger Institute http://www.upledger.com/